In this Year 4 unit, students examine the impact major explorers had on Africa, Australia and South America including the First Fleet, addressing aspects of the HASS Australian Curriculum.
It is a 10-lesson unit (designed to be taught over a term) that contains all lesson resources including worksheets and posters.
The editable planner includes relevant Australian Curriculum links.
The lessons are kept simple and succinct, five to six steps each, to help you save time. The clear instructions highlight the key points, allowing you to focus on the students and make the most of the learning opportunities.
Mrs Amy123 is known for its fun and engaging lessons that involve a wide range of cooperative learning strategies. This means that some lessons will not feature worksheets, though many will.
This unit also includes a grading guide that shows what each grade (A-E) would look like based on two activities from the unit. This document is also linked to the Achievement Standard for Year 4 HASS.
- Editable planner (5 pages)
- Worksheets + Answers (20 pages)
- Resources (33 pages)
- Editable Grading Guide (1 page)
- Editable learning intentions and success criteria
- History: The journey(s) of AT LEAST ONE world navigator, explorer or trader up to the late eighteenth century, including their contacts with other societies and any impacts (ACHASSK084)
Stories of the First Fleet, including reasons for the journey, who travelled to Australia, and their experiences following arrival (ACHASSK085)
- Geography: The main characteristics of continents of Africa and South America and the location of their major countries in relation to Australia (ACHASSK087)
- Inquiry Skills: ACHASSI073, ACHASSI074, ACHASSI075, ACHASSI076, ACHASSI077, ACHASSI078, ACHASSI079, ACHASSI080, ACHASSI081 and ACHASSI082
Also please note, that SCSA (WA) lists Africa and Europe as the countries for year 4 which is different to the Australian Curriculum. Alternative resources have been included to alter some of the South America lesson to Europe but a separate planner is not included.
→ Please note, other than where stated, this product is not editable.
→ This file is zipped. Once downloaded, right-click the file and select ‘extract all’ to open.
✔ This resource is for single classroom use by the purchaser only.
✖ You may not share this product digitally or as a hard copy or upload it to the internet.
© Mrs Amy123
Digital products are sent via email. We recommend you keep the email so you can access any updates to the product in the future. Alternatively, you can create an account upon checking out that will give you access to all your purchases.
Hard goods are shipped out every Saturday morning. Shipping is capped at $10.95 and is added at check out.